Thursday, February 25, 2010

Writing ritual

I've read on many message boards, people asking if authors and writers have their own ritual for writing. All of them have said no.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I'm one of those writers who actually does have a ritual!
Now, can I write anywhere? Yes.
But, I can totally write better in a certain environment.
My best writing is done in my sunny bedroom (it has sky light). I have one of those alarm clocks that has different "soothing" settings, like "rain forest" and "waterfall", I'll usually turn it on to "rain forest" to hear the birdies chirp.
Then I like to get all the pillows in the right position, for back and neck support. Usually I'll light a good smelling candle or incense, and then it's time to get to work!
Simple but effective. Nonetheless, I have quite a lot of my ideas come to me when I'm out at the beach or in the car or even at 4am. So, no, I don't go running home and set up my laptop in my perfectly situated bedroom, I pull out my notebook, jot down the idea and come back to it later.
It seems to work well for me, as for other writers, well, I have no idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment