Sunday, February 28, 2010

Deleted Scene

Sometimes You just have to cut something you've written.
I thought the girls might want to read this before it gets thrown into my desk top's recycle bin.

This takes place after Olive is at her grandmothers (gimmy) house, and is going on an adventure with Raven, Coyotes (gimmy's friend) son.

Here you go, enjoy:

“Hello, Olive.” Said Coyote. “This is my son Chogan.” His son looked about my age. He was also tall, like his father but his shoulders weren’t quite as broad. His skin looked smooth and tight, wrapped around his muscles. For a brief moment I felt my heart rate excite a little. Then gimmy came up from behind me “Coyote and Raven! You came to get my dear Olive.” She said with pleasure. I looked at her blankly “Get me for what?”
“Oh, Coyote brought Raven to take you to town to show you around, so you know where to go if you need to run errands.”
“Yes, I will gladly show you around” Said Chogan, with a beaming smile. His teeth were so white, I was taken back. His English was also far better than his Father’s.
“Fetch your Jacket dear, Coyote will stay here and keep me company. I’ll watch your little dog too.” I did as gimmy said and put my coat on. We stepped out into the brisk morning air. The air was heavy and moist and smelled of rain. Great, I saw the horses again.
“So, we wont be walking there?” I asked sarcastically.
“Not if you want to get there and back today.” He shot back at me.
“What’s wrong, you don’t like riding?”
“No, not particularly. I hardly had to ride a horse in San Francisco.” Realizing this sounded a bit prissy, after I had said it.
“Don’t worry, I’ll help you up.” He said in a teasing manner.
“No, I don’t need your help, thank you.” He helped me up anyway, and laughed as he put his hand on my behind.
“What are you laughing at?”
“Nothing. White women are funny, that’s all.” He laughed again. I resented that and didn’t smile in return. I think he realized he had maddened me because he trailed quite a ways in front of me.
“Why does grandma call you “Raven?” I shouted. He slowed his horse and waited for me to catch up.
“She used to call me “Little Raven”, then I got tall and now she just calls me “Raven”. He said proudly.
“Yes, you’re quite tall.”
“Chogan is Indian for Raven. She was teaching us English and kept calling me Raven and my father Coyote, those are our English names.”
“Well, I like your name. I like ravens.” I said a bit awkward. He smiled at me, causing my heart to skip a beat. I thought maybe I had fallen ill.
He smiled at me as he pet the neck of my horse. For a moment I did feel protected and safe. And I secretly hoped our friendship would continue.
After a few turns down the dirt road we made it to town. We got off our horses and tied them up in front of the Saloon.
“You can tie your horse here when you come to town by yourself.” He said. I was so used to doing everything by myself, but now I found myself hoping he would come with me on my future trips to town.
“Follow me and I’ll show you where to go.” I followed him past the saloon. As we walked past the Apothecary and Bank I could feel the heat of his body next to mine.
“Are you cold?” He asked.
“I’m all right. I have my gloves and my coat.” I said while I lifted my hands to show him my gloves. For a brief moment in my mind I imagined saying “Yes, I’m so cold” and him pulling me closer, wrapping his arms around me, kissing my neck and warming my hands in his. The look in his eyes said that he would be more than willing. Instead I had just said “I’m all right.” And now we walked past the Apothecary.
“This is where you can buy white man’s medicine.” And he pointed at the Apothecary.
“And down here you can buy your meat at the butcher.” We walked past the butcher, and I looked inside, seeing a large man wearing a black apron.

2 comments: